Aldersgate United Methodist Church was born in the minds of interested persons who saw the need for a church in the western section of the City of Sumter. 


During the Winter of 1955 and Spring of 1956, plans were formulated by Sumter Methodists for organization of a new church to serve this fast growing residential area. 


The site of the Sumter Municipal Airport on Alice Drive, having been abandoned, was proposed to be developed as a residential and cultural area by City and County officials, the joint owners. The Sumter District Board of Missions and Church Extension contacted City officials regarding a portion of this property for locating a Methodist church. In October 1955, the City of Sumter agreed to sell five acres to the Sumter District of the Methodist Church for this purpose. Through the generosity of the other local Methodist churches, this land was purchased on December 13, 1956 for $7,000.  


On Sunday, June 3, 1956, the Reverend E. W. Rogers conducted the first worship service at Alice Drive Elementary School to which all persons interested in such a new church were invited. At that service, attended by more than 100 persons, 28 families indicated their interest in the proposed church. A tentative name of Alice Drive Methodist Church was selected. 


The Reverend Rogers was appointed by the Annual Conference to serve as the pastor on August 22, 1956. On Sunday, September 23, 1956, the Reverend T. E. Jones, District Superintendant of the Sumter District of the Methodist Church, held a meeting of the new congregation and it was formally organized. At that time the congregation selected the name of Aldersgate Methodist Church. The name 'Aldersgate' commemorated the deep spiritual experience which the Reverend John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, had at a Bible study held at a house on Aldersgate Street in London, England, on May 24, 1738. It was after this 'Aldersgate experience' as Mr. Wesley later referred to the matter, that he began the activity which led to the formation of the Methodist Church. 


Services for the newly organized church continued to be held at Alice Drive Elementary School, and the church began to grow very quickly. On Sunday, December 23, 1956, the church was formally chartered with 187 members. At the end of its first year, Aldersgate had a membership of 245 and a Church School enrollment of 286. Obviously, the church organization was strong enough to permit planning for permanent facilities on the property already acquired. 


Through the generosity of a local Methodist layman, a lot was donated at 306 Lesesne Street, later changed to Aldersgate Street, where a modern seven room parsonage was erected for the pastor's use at a cost of $17,500. The parsonage was occupied in November of 1957. 


Under the supervision of the building committee, plans were formulated and ground-breaking ceremonies were held Sunday, September 8, 1957.  The building, in contemporary style architecture, soon began to take shape, and on Sunday, May 25, 1958, was first used for worship.  Bishop Nolan B. Harmon conducted the consecration service that day, assisted by the Reverend T. E. Jones and the pastor.  The first unit houses a combination chapel-fellowship hall, church office, thirteen Church School rooms and other facilities, all built and furnished at a cost of $130,000.  Many generous donations have been made for use in the Chapel-fellowship hall, Church School classrooms and for beautification of the grounds.


At  the District Conference of 1959-1960, members of the Sumter District voted to change the location of the district parsonage from Sumter to Hartsville, SC and renamed the district to Hartsville District.


Church membership and attendence continued to increase and beginning October 2, 1960, it was necessary to have two  morning worship services.  By the fall of 1960 the Church School had grown so large that a second building was needed.  A building committee was formed for this addition, and ground-breaking ceremonies were held Sunday, February 12, 1961.  This building, first used on Sunday, September 24, 1961, was constructed at a cost of $45,000 and provided nine additional Church School classrooms.


At the 1962 session of the South Carolina Annual Conference, the Reverend Rogers was transferred and Reverend Harry R. Mays was appointed pastor.  The church membership was 617; the Church School enrollment was 710.  The total value of the Church's property was estimated as $235,000.


Because of the continued growth and limited worship facilities, it was evident that a permanent sanctuary was badly needed.  A building committee for this purpose was appointed by the Official Board and approved by the Quarterly Conference on April 9, 1964.


In June 1964,  The Reverend Mays was transferred and the Reverend James E. Alewine was appointed pastor.


In February 1965 an accelerated program was begun to retire the church mortgages in order that the proposed sanctuary could be built.  Less than a year later, January 18, 1966,  the second mortgage on the property was paid off.  Until the present time this program has been stressed and we can now be proud that the church indebtedness was retired as of May 14, 1968.


That same year at the Annual Conference session, the Methodist Churches united with the Evangelical United Brethren and our church became Aldersgate United Methodist Church.


The Reverend Chad Davis came to Aldersgate in 1968. The following year preliminary plans were again brought forth to consider a snactuary. April 13, 1969 both morning services were set aside for a church conference session with the building committee. The purpose was to obtain the congregation opinions as to whether there was a need for building. This failed.


Soon after Reverend Davis' arrival, another item entered upon the scene.  He noticed the absence of many members when summer approached and discovered the Santee migration had begun.  A Summer Ministry Program was introduced and with the able assistance and enthusiam of persons at Santee and at home, this project came into beginning.  Choir, accompanists, youth and many others were all engaged in the new venture.  Seminary students from Emory, Duke and Lutheran Seminary conducted the services.  The congragation was non-denominational and attendance averaged 100 persons a Sunday.


The Reverend Tom Rogers came to us in June 1971.  Within a few months, the growth of the church dictated again a need to examine the possibilities of building a sanctuary.  The theme became "An Aldersgate Dream".  The Administration Board recommended that the services of the specialist from the National Board of Missions be employed to see if the "Dream" could become true.  This time the plan was greeted with success and groundbreaking services were held on May 19, 1974, with District Superintendant Ernest Heape assiting. An atmosphere of happiness and cohesiveness prevailed at Aldersgate and the entire membership worked to fulfill the "Aldersgate Dream". The building was completed and first service held  in the new sanctuary on September 7, 1975,. An overflow crowd of members and friends attended the service. 


Under the pastoral leadership of Rev. Richard (Dick) E. Signious, 1977-1983, Aldersgate continued to grow. His ministry included a "We Care MIssion", a very successful "Mission Saturation Event" and the hiring of a new staff person, Al Hammer, Director of Youth and Leisure Ministry.  By the end of his ministry, Church membership had reached 870. A new sense of missional outreach emerged and continued. 


In June 1983, the Rev. Ted W. Brazil came to Aldersgate. Under his leadership, membership grew to 1000. In March, 1986, Rev. Lyn Hill was hired as Assistant to the Minister. In November 1986, Aldersgate celebrated her 30th anniversary of service to Christ and the Sumter Community. On about January 1, 1987, a time capsule was placed in a back corner  of the Fellowship Hall marking Aldersgate's first 30 years. This capsule was to be opened in the year 2006. 


In June 1987, the Rev. A. Lloyd Hatton Jr. came to Aldersgate and under his leadership the church continued to grow in membership and discipleship.  A program began to retire the church mortgage. Aldersgate offered a full program for all ages. It is a fellowship of dedicated people who continue to work for Christ. It can trult be said Aldersgate is "A family church for growing Christians".


In June 1990, the Rev. Lee Cochran, Jr. became pastor at Aldersgate, and under his leadership the church began enjoying monthly fellowship dinners in addition to numerous congregational programs. Keith Locklair, Diaconal Minister, joined the staff in April 1993 to serve in the areas of music, youth, and later visitation. His leadership as a musician developed quality and depth within the choir. 


In June 1994, the Rev. Bill Rogers came to Aldersgate and immediately began a comprehensive visitation program, Bible study, and a congregational nurture program. His ministry trademarks were hugs, care, and kind words!


In 1994, Ellis Stafford spent many hours going over the church rolls. There were many names on the roll of people who had moved away. Through much diligence and hard work, and working according to the United Methodist Discipline, the rolls were brought up to date. 


In June 2000, Dr. Louis Jamison and his wife Margaret arrived at Aldersgate. Dr. and Mrs. Jamison were the first to move into the newly purchased parsonage on Henderson Street. Two morning services continued under Dr. Jamison's stay. The Sunday night service became a contemporary service with music led by the Praise Team and sometimes accompanied by the Youth Praise Band.


Wes Connor became the full-time Youth Director and Lynn Boan, the Adult Program Director. Pam King and then Tanya Brady were the directors of children's ministries. The youth were very active in mission work. They worked locally in the S.A.M. (Sumter Area Missions) projects and participated in Salkehatchie and in work in Trinidad. Some adult members were involved in each of the projects with the youth.  


Under Dr. Jamison's leadership, the United Methodist Men (UMM) were reactivated. A number of projects were undertaken by the UMM and Mrs. Jamison to help with the medical costs for one of Aldersgate's precious children.


Dr. Jamison retired in June 2006. Church membership was at 760. 


At the 2006 South Carolina Annual Conference, the Reverend Jerry Pickens was appointed the new pastor at Aldersgate. The congregation welcomed Rev. PIckens and his wife Becky as our new parsonage family.